[Cob] straw in cob or concrete?

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Thu Aug 14 14:23:37 CDT 2008

Ron,
	After I posted, I researched on internet and saw where the Egyptian
government was experimenting and testing rice straw-cement bricks.
They found they have a very low compressive strength (60psi), but I
think maybe because they had too much straw. They did say they soaked
the straw in sodium chloride for 48 hours, then dried it out before
adding it to the cement mixture. That was to "neutralize" the
carbohydrates in the straw, which keeps the cement from hardening,
they said. So, why does it not make much difference in cob I wonder?
Is it because concrete is a chemical reaction where cob is a physical
one? My experience with pine straw is the dry stuff is extremely
brittle and isn't good for building.

Damon in GA