[Cob] cob or concrete: hydrophobic vs hydrophillic considerations

Ocean Liff-Anderson ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Mon Aug 18 19:48:23 CDT 2008

OK, I sure caused a bit of a storm by suggesting we talk to the
concrete professionals, who we all know would laugh their a**es off
at the suggestion to add a degradable material to concrete.  My off
the cuff response is due to my frustration with the coblist - there
have been many speculative suggestions of relatively serious or silly
nature, which may or may not have severe consequences to the
inhabitants of the buildings proposed.  Let's not forget the poor
fellow killed when his cob dome collapsed on him due to failure of
the straw by water damage.

I really suggested the concrete professionals because the original
poster seemed to want to use the material they would know so much
about - Portland cement.  Just because this is an "alternative" list
doesn't mean we should shirk the expertise of the conventional
building industry, especially when suggesting to merge an industrial
material with a degradable material - straw.

Another consideration about the concrete-straw hybrid which I didn't
mention:  Hydrophilic vs. Hydrophobic characteristics of cement vs.
clay:

As mentioned by Damon (and countless cob professionals including
Ianto Evans), in a dry cob wall straw can last hundreds or thousands
of years.  This is due to the chemical nature of clay, which is
hydrophobic under proper conditions - namely no surface source of
water, plenty of air circulation - clay dries completely, protecting
the straw that cob depends upon for shear strength.  Ianto also
speculates that rain blown onto the surface of an un-plastered wall
will not penetrate further than a few fractions of an inch because
the surface clay hydrates and expands, in a sense creating a barrier
to prevent rain from penetrating deeper into the wall, where it might
soak the straw and cause it to fail.

Portland cement, on the other hand, is highly hydrophilic, meaning it
holds onto water, and actuallys wick water from a below ground source
- why most cobbers will not use concrete as a footing for a cob
building.  The straw in the cob immediately adjacent to the concrete
footing can rot due to water wicked through the concrete.  I would
speculate that rain blown onto a concrete-straw wall would be wicked
into the wall, ultimately causing the straw to degrade and the wall
to fail.  Additionally there is the damage done chemically by the
caustic cement during the initial wet concrete phase (which doesn't
happen in cob - clay isn't caustic, wet or dry).  Given these
concerns, I wouldn't trust straw mixed into concrete for shear strength.

One last point:  I don't think I ever said that "all cement is bad".
I have in fact used a lot of cement, learned a great deal about it
from the professionals who have helped by projects, including Kiko
Denzer.  I've also seen cob get soaked at the concrete footing / cob
interface, due to the wicking nature of the concrete.  I speculate
that the wall may eventually fail in this case.