[Cob] update on trench issues

drub drub at pobox.com
Tue Aug 19 21:54:52 CDT 2008

Hi all,

Tim's email causes me to pose questionsthat began forming earlier in
this conversation.

Can a cob wall be built on a concrete footing / stem wall or slab?

Earlier assertions (paraphrasing) said "no" cuz the moisture wicks up
through the concrete and can cause a failure at the cob/concrete
junction.  Hope I got that right.

Am wondering if concrete's tendency to wick could be moderated.
Thoughts and questions ...

    * How about a good vapor barrier between the concrete and the
      ground?  Should moderate the wicking effect.
    * How about a good drainage system under the concrete, much like
      that prepared prior to a rubble trench?  That should also reduce
      the wicking.
    * How about extending the concrete vertically 12", or 18" above
      grade.  That should contribute to the concrete's evaporative drying.

Would a combination of these or other techniques make concrete an
acceptable material as a cob wall footing?

The last bullet point seems most relevant to Tim's thinking.  If a
mortared urbanite stem wall can be used, I should think a concrete stem
wall of similar dimensions could also be used, since urbanite is
concrete chunks.  Is my thinking valid?  What am I missing?

I understand the shortcomings of concrete on the environment and would
prefer not to use it.  But ... in some situations it could be quite
useful.  And if an urbanite wall has similar behaviors perhaps it is not
an optimum solution?

This has been a great conversation.  Caused me to think of several
different topics.  Some good info has been provided.  I'd urge all
participants to practice patience during the dialog.  There is sooooooo
much information lost in printed communications.  We don't have all the
visual and verbal clues and can easily misinterpret humor, sarcasm,
irony, etc.  This list is a wonderful resource.  Thank you all.

All the best!
David