[Cob] update on trench issues

Tim Nam tkn317071 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 19 19:40:30 CDT 2008

FYI:

I decided to not tie in to the existing drain line, opting instead to tunnel through the existing trench (of strawbale garden wall), to daylight, affording my trench an extra 3" of depth, well below the 12" frost line here in the Willamette Valley.

So the plan is: slope the bottom of the trench to daylight, put in some 3/4" minus on the bottom then the drain pipe with the 4" minus clean, river rock. I think I'll add some smaller concrete chunks and chunks of asphalt which were kindly left here by the previous owner (yes, hint of sarcasm) but I think a good use for it, as rubble that is.

So I'm still wondering, what do yall think about whether to line the trench with a poly lumber tarp? that is, to slow siltation of drain rock and pipe and deter root penetration/heave. My concern is the tarp though used, is still in good shape, and that it won't be porous enough...perhaps landscaping cloth will work better?

And about the issue of concrete and rising damp, I was planning on a mortared urbanite stemwall, do I need to have a vapor barrier between the urbanite-cob junction?

Thanks
Tim