[Cob] Cob Convergence in South Africa

Jill Hogan jill.hogan at mat.org.za
Sun Sep 7 13:18:10 CDT 2008

I live in the picturesque little village of McGregor in South Africa. in the Western Cape. We are know to be the best preserved village in the western cape and have the highest percentage of heritage earth houses of any village. Over the last three years we have had a cob convergence promoting earth building over the South African holiday the 16th December. These usually run for three days and we have been incorporating the whole village.
This year we plan to run over four days, the 13th Dec to the 16th Dec and we are looking for speakers. Last year we did tours say of  cob houses historical and modern in the morning and then in the afternoon talks on cob building and so on with examples of cob, adobe and strawbale building.
We also have houses that are completely off the grid operating just on solar and examples of solar cooking, solar water heating systems, permaculture, earth worms, compost toilets etc. This year we are planning to have a sustainable fair on the fourth day. Where people can promote their product plus have demonstrations of the various types of building.
 I am appealing to anyone who would be interested to add knowledge and present a paper plus get involved in the practical side at the fair.
Regards Jill Hogan

MAT
023 625 1533
www.mat.org.za
We are sponsored by Cape Lime, Robertson.