[Cob] Curved bond beams

Tim Nam tkn317071 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 26 01:06:00 CDT 2008

My suggestion would be to just make a few more cuts, at whatever angle feels right (and is easier to make) around your curves and have a polygon shaped top plate/bond beam, with gusseted joints, deadman anchored to the cob, or perhaps simply nail anchored, as in using old nails and such to give the cob something to grab. That is, assuming you have a bunch of salvaged lumber that needs to be used up creatively.
 ...Not really sure if a top plate is absolutely necessary if the rafters are embedded in cob. The test building in that UBC earthquake/cob experiment had a shed roof with continuous rafters, I believe, and the roof didn't collapse, even in a simulated 9.0. Ziggy didn't use a top plate for his reciprocal roof, but he's not in a seismic area, either. But as I understand it, an earthquake can be a wave like motion on the surface of the land, iow, up and down and/or lateral shifting, side to side. All things being equal, I'm not sure how much more earthquake protection you get with a top plate. The cob is gonna hold it up either way.

What are you doing in Iraq?

Tim