[Cob] Curved bond beams

john fordice otherfish at comcast.net
Fri Sep 26 00:34:36 CDT 2008

Mitch,
As cob builders, our understanding of cob's ability to withstand
seismic forces is  conjecture based on supposition.
In other words, we don't really know.  In the absence of tested proof
that cob can withstand earthquake forces, i choose to include
additional seismic stability components in the cob buildings I design
& construct.  Based on some shake table testing of methods for adding
seismic stability to adobe structures,  I wrote the following about
seismic strengthening of cob:
EARTHQUAKE DESIGN - cob can be built to survive earthquakes - some
basic earthquake design principals are:

a continuous reinforced concrete perimeter footing - 12“ deep x 18”
wide minimum - minimum of 2 #4 horizontal rebar - - wider  with 3 #4
for walls over 8’ tall

a  mortared stone or Urbanite base wall - 16” minimum height above
finished exterior ground - match cob wall thickness

3/8” smooth rebar vertical ties at 24” spacing in full height wall
sections - embed in footing & hooked to a #4 cross bar in footing -
full height of wall - attach to bond beam atop wall - thread top 6”

cob wall height to thickness ratio of 7 : 1 - taper walls to 12” wide
at top to reduce upper weight of the wall

double 2x4  bond beam embedded in top of wall - vertical tie rod at
lapped corners  - stud 3 sides in wall w/ 16d nails at 3”-4” spacing.

rafters at 24” spacing max - nail well to bond beam ( angle clips
preferable ) - solid block rafters at bond beam
plywood or 1” roof sheathing - well nailed to create solid roof
diaphragm

  VERY IMPORTANT !!!  -  assure continuity of connection between ALL
structural components.
happy mexico cobbing
john fordice  -  cob research institute