[Cob] Clay

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Sat Nov 1 19:45:41 CDT 2008

Philip: The last time I visited Ianto I noticed that he is building
hybrid buildings of straw and cob. The cob portion was only 8 inches
thick and the straw portion was half a two string bale. The way to do
it is to make a bale press out of 2" x 4" studs. One bottom 2 x 4 two
vertical 2 x 4s (side by side around the horizontals) and a
horizontal 2 x 4. These are connected together with pivot pins. You
place a two string bale between the horizontals and compress the bale
then re-tie it to form a 4-string bale. Chain saw the bale in half
between the 4 strings and use the half bales as building blocks for
forming the walls and supporting the cob.
	If you build fast with wet cob you might need a dead man anchor
extending between the straw and cob walls to hold the cob from
falling away from the bale.
	If you do not understand this, I can probably draw you a picture and
send it to you.
Ed