[Cob] cobbing a metal wood stove

Charmaine Taylor dirtcheapbuilderbooks at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 15:00:52 CST 2008

Nope.  It's just not building season in my neck o' the woods
___________

I saw Uli's comment- and it seems true that late fall is not cobbing
time due to rains, and starting a project so late in the season.

I just gave a way a cheap boxwood metal wood burning stove-
freestanding-- they crack easily and  are not that efficient I got it
free, and just gave it to a guy and showed him how to fix the "crack"
problem by cobbing over much of the body of the stove, and having a
nice mass to help warm his garage shop.

Here in N. Calif.  it gets cold and many use wood to heat in shops and
 garages, and homes.     I wanted the fun of doing it myself, but just
have too many other projects, plus I got a tall 1900s parlor stove-
free- with all the filagiree, and wing  plates and fancy  parts that
sat in the  house parlors 100 years ago.  it is in good shape, but I
may still cob around the plain metal body  to capture heat and help
warm the covered patio where it will sit.

these 5 'tall parlor  designs   are so fancy, like metal art- and you
can find them all tarted up and re dipped in "silver" chrome-- and
sell for $3500 to $4500!!

 beat up they sell for $300-+   or free on freecycle once in a while
 at www.davidsheen.com there are pics of the Rogman stove and others
that have cob around the metal stove, and it looks so organic and
natural to combine the best of both materials.

this one has cob, but as a shell to capture and hold the heat
http://www.ilovecob.com/ashan/cascadiacob/cob0550.htm
--

same here-- a shell of cob-
http://www.ilovecob.com/ashan/cascadiacob/cob0400.htm