[Cob] Weatherproofing a cob bench

Ocean Liff-Anderson ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Wed Dec 17 14:13:58 CST 2008

A real problem you're going to have in Ithaca (that they don't have
in Oakland) is that any moisture which inevitably penetrates the cob
will likely freeze and cause the plaster to fail, flaking off.  Only
a completely water proof seal would prevent this, but then this would
compromise the cob which needs to breathe.

I think the best thing is a waterproof roof or a very good tarp, with
room for ventilation (tarps can also trap condensation underneath if
they don't have ventilation).

Do you have a picture of the bench?  I would love to see it!

Peace,
Ocean Liff-Anderson
www.fireworksvenue.com
www.peacemaking.org