[Cob] Janet-windows, doors, thick walls

Barbara Roemer roemiller4 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 21:27:05 CST 2008

> Hmmm, I wonder about saving money on the permit: in California, buildings
> are usually permitted based on the exterior footprint.  With some
> conversations with building depts., some jurisdictions will accept the
> interior measurement and add the thickness of a 2 x6"wall so that the owner
> isn't in effect penalized for a super-insulated wall.

Also,  someone  else probably already commented on this, but a 5' thick wall
of cob will take a loooong time to heat up if the house cools for a couple
of days during the winter.  I think you'd be much better off with a
conventional strawbale or light straw clay wall and a very thick cob like
plaster on the interior, and conventional clay plaster on the exterior.
Then you'd have the insulation where you need it, outside the thermal mass.
You might defeat your comfort level with so much mass at such a low rate of
insulation.  See caneloproject.com for the Steens' approach to built-ins
with bale.

I encourage you to use a vapor barrier between the ground and your floor.
We didn't on our bathroom addition, and learned....it's a colder space than
need be because ground moisture (there is excellent drainage, so it's not
that) soaks up the heat.

Best of luck with your project.

Barbara