[Cob] Cob and Insulation

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Tue Dec 30 14:17:02 CST 2008

Hi everyone,
	I've noticed a lot of discussion on insulation lately (maybe because
it's winter), and although insulation is important, if designed and
oriented correctly cob can provide a cozy place without the
overburdened, complicated mixture of materials. If The idea is to
gather the heat from the sun through windows. Don't put windows in
spots that get little to no sun. If a window is in full sun it's not
going to lose heat unless the outside temp. is extremely cold or the
wind is blowing on it. For those who are concerned about keeping the
house warm through insulating, my opinion is keep the insulation on
the north and possibly west walls and leave the south and east walls
pure cob and glass. If you insulate the south wall you'll be blocking
the heat from the sun, thus defeating the thermal characteristics of
cob. Of course I'm not quite as concerned about insulation as many of
you probably are because I live in Georgia.

Damon