[Cob] Chicken feathers

Kathryn Marsh kmarsh at iol.ie
Fri Jan 2 07:05:50 CST 2009

Can't think why they would be going to landfill anyway since feather
meal is a valuable protein supplement used in the pig and poultry
industry. But its easy enough to pasteurise feathers to use for
insulation - after all we've been using feathers to make quilts for
hundreds of years. The best wool batting uses the natural
characteristics of the wool to stick it together rather than mixing
with adhesives - there are some question marks over off gassing from
wool batting with an adhesive content. So I don't think adding an
adhesive to feathers would be a good idea. I know that some
experiments with woolcrete are going on and maybe feathercrete would
be worth looking at. And in the meantime I think duvet style pockets
might actually have better U values than sacks as an insulation layer.

Important to remember that you need a vapour barrier with organic
substances like wool or feathers

kathryn