[Cob] Chicken feathers

Bill Christensen billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Sun Jan 4 21:59:32 CST 2009

At 5:55 PM -0800 1/1/09, Luanna Dycus wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I saw something interesting on Bill Nye (green channel).  Someone is
>using chicken feathers to make backer boards for computer circuit
>boards using soy resin as a binder.  They said that USA produces 2
>billion pounds of feathers going to landfills per year.  My thought
>was how to use them for insulation.  Any ideas?

it's been done - as others have mentioned, quilts and pillows have
long been made with feathers of various foul.

For those that remember the (supposed) origins of the band name The
Crickets from the movie The Buddy Holly Story, the boys were
practicing/recording in the garage or some such outbuilding, which
was insulated with chicken feathers.  A cricket was hiding in them
and they could hear it on the tapes.  In the movie I think I remember
them pulling off the chicken wire which was holding the feathers in
place in order to chase the little guy down.

I don't know what kind of practical considerations there would be
with using feathers.  As others mentioned, they might harbor unwanted
critters or pathogens.  They might also be real nasty if they got
wet.  You'd have to ask elsewhere for answers to those kinds of
questions.

--
Bill Christensen
<http://greenbuilder.com/contact/>