[Cob] Chicken feathers

howard at earthandstraw.com howard at earthandstraw.com
Mon Jan 5 08:29:00 CST 2009

>I don't know what kind of practical considerations there would be with using feathers.  As others mentioned, they might >harbor unwanted critters or pathogens.  They might also be real nasty if they got wet.

Yes, most things get nasty if they are left wet for long but I would think feathers would be fairly resistant to rot, thinking of our chickens in the rain.  Perhaps some borates etc. like they put in cellulose insulation would help keep them free of crickets.  Wondering too if they should be milled into fluff in the process.  They are certainly nice and lightweight for a roof.   Being experimental perhaps you want to make a test panel, get it wet, monitor it for critters etc. and see how it feels to you.

Howard Switzer, Architect
668 Hurricane Creek Road
Linden, TN 37096
931-589-6513