[Cob] Earth Bag Construction

Shane Earp shaneearp at msn.com
Tue Jan 27 16:21:24 CST 2009

Thanks to all that have responded to my questions concerning earth bag construction.

>From my research I have found there to be a lot of information on the gravity load capacity of earth bag construction but was unable to find any information on the out of plane or in-plane shear capacity of the wall system. This information is critical for lateral (earth quake) design.

There has been tests on earth bag dome structures but nothing that I can find for earth bag bearing wall systems. Does anyone have any idea where that information can be found if it exists.

Thanks
Shane Earp, P.E.
Structural Integrity, LLC
724 Main St., Suite 211