[Cob] Cob floor

Dulane silkworm at spiderhollow.com
Fri Feb 6 11:41:16 CST 2009

Forgive me if you get this twice, but I didn't see this bounce back in my
mailbox. My other email was in reference to the fact that the insulation I
used was 1 in thick. This is the rest of the story.

"Yes, I did insulate under the cob floor.

I had some big chunks of 2 inch white insulation, and I fit it in as we
went. My floor is small, but I divided it into quarters anyway, using
recycled lumber. It wasn't really 'poured'. It was kind of rammed into
place. I made the cob stiffer with more sand. I really needed gloves for
this work. I put plywood across the lumber so I could walk on top of the
frame (if I needed to) while it was drying. We pulled the wood out when it
was 7/8 dry, and I rammed more cob into the cracks where the boards had
been. If I had it to do again, I use 2x4's instead of 1x4s. The cracks don't
have insulation below them, so some of the floor is solid cob.

I don't think it is entirely airtight (from below), but it sure took the
draft away. It doesn't feel spongy. During several days of constant rain
this winter, I didn't see any signs of moisture build-up inside the house. I
figured that would indicate condensation from wicking water up from below. I
take that back. I noticed that my rock foundation on the inside looked damp,
but I didn't see condensation on the inside of the windows. I have a passive
vent up at the ceiling. Except for the rainy time, my inside foundation
rocks continue to be dry.

Until I do the finish layer of finer cob, I have the floor covered with
throw rugs. I did accidentally chunk up a couple of spots, and I was able to
wet the cob and fill the holes again."

Here's a couple of pics:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s143/Dulanec/cobfloor.jpg

http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s143/Dulanec/constructsite.jpg

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste like
chicken..."