[Cob] Large Gravel-Filled EarthBag Foundations - Off Topic and More!

Ocean Liff-Anderson ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Sat Feb 14 15:38:55 CST 2009

A few points:

1.) Seems you've gotten the "I hate concrete" philosophy down, but
why?  Because it isn't natural?  Neither are gravel (intensive
industrial product) filled bags, nor fiberglass (even more industrial
and carbon-emittive) rebar spikes.  Then there's the petro-slurping
tractor to do all the heavy lifting.

2.) Do you have any idea how much a one-yard bag of gravel would
weigh?  Last I checked a yard of rock weighs 3500 pounds - yep,
almost 2 tons.  Doubts any forklift or tractor bucket could lift that
without destroying its hydraulics.

3.) Ever tried spiking anything into compressed rock before?  I doubt
a fiberglass rebar would be able to penetrate the rock, and certainly
would splinter with dangerous consequences - be sure to wear eye-
protection, heavy gloves, coveralls to avoid the flying fiberglass
shards.

4.)  This whole thread is way off-topic for this list - where's the
cob here?  Maybe you'll plaster with cob?