[Cob] Large Gravel-Filled EarthBag Foundations

Don Jackson homesteadpower at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 14 14:50:33 CST 2009

Hi;

I've read about using gravel filled earthbags for foundations.  I'm interested in anchoring 2 foot thick bales to this sort of foundation, using fiberglass rebar pounded through (no concrete bond-beam; I'm trying to engineer the use of cement out of my life).

To make a foundation out of earthbags for a 2' thick wall would require very large earthbags, or a double row of them perhaps (or, run them the other direction, or a criss-cross pattern, etc.?).  In any event, that would require a lot of bags.  I already want to do everything, as much as possible, with my tractor.  It would make my life a lot easier if I could use the giant one yard size bags, that can be moved around with a forklift attachment.  That might easily make enough foundation width, allow for filling and placement with the tractor, and accomplish a big "chunk" of affordable foundation, all in one swift move.

But, I already know the use of earthbag foundations is in the beginnings of acceptance, and I've never heard of anybody using these large bags to make foundations (indeed, everyone else seems to either be using "tubes", or bags that weigh little enough they can be moved by hand).  I have a house that needs remodeled, in a rural area, so I think I can get away building this without permits (after all, how much money am I really putting into this project???).  I still don't want to do anything outright unsafe.  Does anybody have any thoughts on using these super-large size bags for foundations, filled with 3/4 minus gravel, if giant bales were anchored to it with industrial-strength fiberglass rebar?  Thanks for your input!

Don

Windows Liveā„¢: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect.
http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_allup_howitworks_022009