[Cob] gravel/bag/Gabion foundations

Charmaine Taylor dirtcheapbuilderbooks at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 17:48:05 CST 2009

 OK I suggested Gabions as the solution to host the large bags of gravel.
 at a cob home at Emerald Earth I was shown a   redwood plank foundation, it
is large wood planks bolted together and has gravel in the center as the
 base on which the cob is placed.  they said they only have to replace the
planks ( planned- not needed yet) every 20 years or so if the wood give way.
which is smart.    but I did suggest they  bag up the gravel next time
because they said the problem was the gravel all spills out when they tried
to fix a plank..  so Don's idea was good. a 2 layer step.. a strong bag to
hold the gravel inside a wire mesh or wood plank foundation frame so you
have a   belt and suspenders effect.

here is a local company to me who makes these  the cheapest foundation I can
think of  is rocks in a basket trench.  the ancients in IL for the mound
building did this, they had woven straw/reed baskets they called "turtles"
based on the shape, they filled with   rocks and stacked them up for a base.
then continued on with just dirt as the wall form itself. the basket rotted
away over time but the grassy covering of roots kept it all together.

http://www.hilfiker.com/gabface/index.html   &
http://www.hilfiker.com/awg/index.html

Hilfiker also makes custom sizes for  foundation uses
--
Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
Toll Free Order: 1-888-441-1632