[Cob] floor insulation- peanuts- foam etc

Charmaine Taylor dirtcheapbuilderbooks at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 20:34:31 CST 2009

  the important
thing is to make your floor mix dense and at least several inches thick so
that floor stays rigid and the insulation stays where you want it.
+++++++++++
--Last year a local company that makes life vests for boating etc was giving
away  hundreds of thousands of miscut pieces ( shaped like a shield or 1/2
of a vest front- which is what they were)  basically  6" x 10"  or larger
 anyway they had switched to  this Gaia foam-- a more earth friendly  NON
PVC foam and just had too much waste  and no way to use it. so instead of
landfill they gave it away.

 I used it as the ceiling insulation, laid down onto free 4x3 sheets of
pegboard material - placed like a puzzle- it filled up every inch of the
sheet, and then went up as my studio ceiling.( see the story and a photo
here : http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com/gascascein.html  )

I have a  big pile left as was thinking of using it to make an insulated
closet floor. I had a "closet" 5' wide x 16' long built off of my studio-
this is all framed and roofed already, but  the  ground there is  6"-8"
below the slab floor of the studio.

the closet is for storage of all my book store packing:  boxes,  paper
reams, bubblewrap,  stuff that takes a ton of space,' but it is Cold here on
that north side,  so no dampness or moisture for the cardboard is desired..

so I    already lime- stabilized the soil with a rototiller, and packed it
flat, now I wanted to lay a base  billboard tarp, and lay down a thick, neat
layer  of the Gaiafoam--  it should stay put fine. I can use a clay slip to
keep them put.  I plan a wood floor over the space on the  frame so just
need a  mouse free zone with no water entry.  Id toss in foam peanuts too if
I had them

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
Toll Free Order: 1-888-441-1632
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com   www. papercrete.com
PO Box 375, Cutten CA 95534