[Cob] wood inside cob

Dulane silkworm at spiderhollow.com
Fri Feb 27 13:55:41 CST 2009

After a little reflection on the subject, I think it would be better to say
that nails can rust if there is a lot of moisture still in the cob. But
thankfully my little cabin did eventually dry. I cobbed all summer and into
November. It didn't actually dry (rainy Seattle) until late spring. If the
cob has good drying conditions, I doubt if embedded metal would rust much.

In hot dry conditions cob can dry in a couple days.

Sounds like a simple enough experiment. We'd just have to make a cob brick
with a nail embedded into a chunk of wood and let it sit a year or two,
outside in a dry location.

So many of our perceptions have to do with where we are located. Like who
would cob barefoot in November, when it is in the mid-50's? But it sounds
like a great idea in mid-summer when the clay almost melts by itself.