[Cob] stem walls on interior walls?

Bernhard Masterson bernhard_masterson at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 3 14:37:08 CST 2009

Hi Tys,
    I would recommend a stem wall over a rubble trench with drain pipe.  Cob walls are heavy enough that they need to be on well compacted and drained sub-soil.  The load bearing capacities of soil decreases dramatically when they are wet.  If you wanted to reduce your use of Portland cement try a lime mortar.  If you are going to the effort to build a cob wall, it makes sense to me to put it on a foundation that will ensure that it is on stable soil and above water.

happy building,
- Bernhard

____________________________________bernhard_masterson at hotmail.com

Natural building instruction and consultation

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 15:31:08 -0800
> From: "Tys Sniffen" <tys at ideamountain.com>
> Subject: [Cob] stem walls on interior walls?
> To: <coblist at deatech.com>
>
> What's the word on mortaring stones in place for the base of interior walls?
> I know in 'Hand Sculpted House' it talks about having stem walls come up 6
> inches above finished floor to protect against floods or plumbing accidents.
> My house will only have one interior wall of cob that will be even close to
> any plumbing, so I'm wondering if I could avoid buying more cement and
> hauling more urbanite to make interior stem walls I don't need.
>

> Since I'm planning on doing the sub floor first, it would be interior cob
> walls built right on that cob floor, which is sitting on gravel.
>

> Tys

Windows Liveā„¢ Groups: Create an online spot for your favorite groups to meet.
http://windowslive.com/online/groups?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_groups_032009