[Cob] Coblist Digest, Vol 7, Issue 45

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Thu Mar 5 14:08:49 CST 2009

I always chop the straw. Laying out the flakes on the ground and
running a mower across them and raking up the chopped straw is quick
and easy. The only caveat is you must wear a n-95 or better dust mask
and eye protectors. I do not live in an earth quake area, and I
figure that even when using finely chopped straw the finished
structure is many times stronger than adobe, and the application and
sculpting of cob with chopped straw is much easier than with whole
straw. This is particularly true when doing windows or any complex
cob shape. Note, for example, the windows shown to the left of
"WINDOWS, WINDOWS!" in The Sculpted House book. The windows mullions
were made with finely chopped straw and I can not imagine trying to
form these windows with whole straw. It would have been nearly
impossible.
Ed