[Cob] Coblist Digest, Vol 7, Issue 45

john fordice otherfish at comcast.net
Sun Mar 8 15:46:34 CDT 2009

Ed,
i had a conversation with an engineer about straw length in cob.
He pointed out that in concrete construction the minimum length of
rebar embedment needed to reach maximum strength of the rebar in
concrete is called the "development length".   It has to do with the
ability of the concrete to grip the rebar.  At any length of embedded
rebar longer than the development length, there is no added strength
benefit.
  He posited that the same may be true for straw in cob.  If we knew
the ability of cob to grip the embedded straw, we would know at what
length of straw, there would be no added benefit strength wise of
having longer straw.  This is something worth knowing & will be one
of the fields of study to be done be the CRI once the study of cob
strength & structural performance gets going.
Regards,
john fordice - cob research institute