[Cob] Limewash/Whitewash and other permeable paint options

Simon Matthews simon at karrak.id.au
Fri Mar 6 08:07:10 CST 2009

I am currently building a light earth 6mx4m room and have just completed
the second coat of mud render. So far everything has gone well, with the
usual caveats of it taking longer and being more work than expected. A
6mx4m room shouldn't be a big job should it?

I was going to use whitewash without additives on both the internal and
external walls,but after much research which has produced a huge range
of options i am not so sure.

My main concern is the durability of the whitewash. The consensus seems
to me that the whitewash will have to be redone every one to two years
and is easily rubbed off.

I would like to know other peoples experience and thoughts about
whitewash, whitewash additives and other permeable paints before making
a decision on what to use.

By the way i found some good information on whitewash and other paints
on these sites
http://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/lwdistempers/lwdistempers.htm
http://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/vapour/vapour.htm
http://www.ncptt.nps.gov/index.php/durability-of-traditional-and-modified-limewashes/