[Cob] Limewash/Whitewash and other permeable paint options

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Fri Mar 6 19:25:34 CST 2009

Simon: I did two layers of horse manure and clay on my wall, then a
thin layer of lime putty (2 parts sand one part lime) then two coats
of lime wash. I sprayed water on the lime layers three times a day
with a 2 gallon insecticide sprayer. You can't rub my lime off. I
don't even think you can sand it off, and I have not redone my wall
for ten years. It is an interior wall with out much rubbing, but that
would not matter. If you go over to Mt. Vernon, George Washington's
estate, You can see the walls of his estate are still in good shape
after many years. His walls are wood siding grooved to look like
masonry and painted with whitewash and sand just like my wall. The
main thing that you need to remember is to use Mason's lime or
"Limoid" or hydrated lime (all names for the same thing).  I get
something called Limoid at a masonry supply store. It comes in 50
pound bags. It has lots of impurities in it so it is not edible grade
but it is cheap. Just add water and use, or store in a sealed drywall
bucket covered with a layer of water. You should be able to make a
bench and sit on the bench with out getting powder on your clothing.
If your lime does not harden like, this it is no good.
	DO NOT USE GARDEN LIME. That is just ground up limestone. It will
not harden and it will powder off.
Ed