[Cob] fleas/ticks in sand

Udit youdit at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 15:53:59 CDT 2009

Hello list,

I'm planning on putting up a garden wall this summer of cob with an urbanite
stemwall. That's beside the point. The real reason I'm writing is because
the local sand which is readily available has a lot of sand ticks/fleas. I
don't want to switch gears and get some pricier and possibly less
pest-infested shipped in if I can help it, I'd rather use local earth, but
of course I don't want to be tromping around in a *lot* of ticks/fleas. (I
live in the woods in Arkansas. *LOTS* of buggers.)
Anyone have ideas about how I can possibly treat the sand to clear out some
of the bugs while still making it safe to use for cob with bare feet/hands
of my loved ones?

I had considered boiling water and pouring it over the sand. So far it's my
best idea but I don't really think it'd be that effective. Just looking for
ideas.

So sorry if this is too OT for the list!

faithful lurker
Udit