[Cob] length of straw and general research

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Thu Mar 12 11:08:45 CDT 2009

To John and Others,
	I see the interest in knowing the minimum length of straw in cob,
but my fear is when the research results become requirement by
building departments. Also, we should be able to build a home with
what we have available right here on our land and not need a trip to
the store for our materials. If we use store-bought materials
(additives which are not natural and abundantly available) in our
research, we'll never be able to build the simple, cheap homes we
want. On our journey of learning how to make the best cob homes,
let's keep in mind the old saying "KISS." Us Americans tend to want
our homes to last forever, but do they? Through all the research of
modern building technologies, our homes have become less sturdy and
more susceptible to damage because people just want a cheap house and
contractors love to cut corners. Cob houses have been known to last
for centuries and how many of us are going to be around to see the
demise of them? Not many I imagine. If they're built by sensible
builders they should last a long time (much longer than a stick
built). I'm not sure, but I would say the poor folks who built most
of those cob houses in England didn't go to natural building school
or do a lot of research into it. They simply dug the dirt up, mixed
straw into it, and slapped it into a wall. What more is there to
know? We seem to be so thirsty for the knowledge of how they did it
back then that we're over analyzing a very simple idea: we can build
our homes from dirt and it will last for generations as long as we
keep it from getting soaked with water. What a wonderful idea that
is. I celebrate everyone who sees the benefits of building this way.

Damon in Georgia