[Cob] Bottle walls

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Tue Mar 17 15:41:12 CDT 2009

The sculpted house book mentions glass bottles on page 194, and I
have used glass bottles in all of the walls that I have constructed,
but not as many. I do not think that a cob wall would be structurally
sound when made that thin and with that many bottles. However, a
small Roman or Gothic arched window of bottles would be lovely. In
order to avoid the projecting glass neck of the bottle and to make a
wall that is neat on both sides, I used a bottle cutter to cut the
top off colored bottles and match them with clear glass jars or
plates then sealed the pair with aluminum foil. The bottle cutter
allows you to match the bottle to the thickness of the wall, the
insides are sealed and only the outer ends need to be cleaned. They
provide little gems of color in the wall.  I think they look quite
nice and the price is right.
	There are two different styles of bottle cutters on the market. I
like the one where you roll the bottle against the cutter as opposed
to one with an adjustable L-shaped cutter arm that fits in the neck
of the bottle. The kits do not come with eye protectors, but wear eye
protection when you use them.
Ed