[Cob] Burnishing oil barrels

Shody Ryon qi4u at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 25 11:58:55 CDT 2009

Dear Su,
I hope you have been careful about breathing fumes and maybe skin contact with toxins that can cross the skin into the body, if not you might wish to eat lots of young, or other wise low in oxalic acid, greens like kale dandelion greens or wheatgrass juice or zeolite supplement.

I don't know about the rest of these suggestions; sand blasting, fast and easy, so is there a tool rental place there? Ia there a mobile sand blasting service that is low on work and willing to come out at low cost? How about paint stripping chemicals, there are some new environmentally friendly ones. There were some chemical strippers that came in "peal and stick" sheets which greatly reduce solvent evaporation which is cool because the solvents that evaporate are the same ones that remove the paint and and are bad for the environment.

In more "advanced areas" than it looks like you are at there are services that strip paint, "dip and strip" (I made it up) but they have big tanks of striping chemicals that for a fee, they will put whatever you have in the tank! That saves so much work.

there are heat guns, they look like hair blow dyers but they are industrial strength, do not use them on your pretty hair! They are supposed to melt the paint, but it may only work in oil based paint and then it scrapes off with putty knives. I would set up and electric fan to blow the fumes away from my face.

I just reread the question;
burnish tr.v. , -nished , -nishing , -nishes . To make smooth or glossy by or as if by rubbing; polish.

I am guessing again fine sand paper, 400 or 600 grit meaning how many grains of "sand" per square inch so I don't know how they do it there, but sand paper for car finishes. It goes in sequence, from rougher to smoother grit. Sometimes steel wool works and it comes in coarse and fine, and there are rubbing compounds too. Perhaps you could ask a local auto body repair shop for supplies.

You could try rubbing them with wet sand (so it sticks) with a rag.

I have to go,
I hope that helps, I have never done this,

Shody