[Cob] Completed Rocket Stove

Susan Hagan su.hagan at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Apr 2 00:14:36 CDT 2009

Thanks for everyone who sent answers to my questions.  We finished the prototype Rocket stove in the garden last night and fired it up.  It worked well. We are going to add a bench to it to get the feel for the one in the house.  My neighbour came over just as we were lighting it and kept wanting to push the wood into the burn tunnel.  We wouldn't let her. As soon as the fire took hold she began to see the beauty of the design and asked me to build her one in her garden. The stove took 3 days to build real time and about 10 days talking it over and learning. Neither of us had done it before so we are very pleased with it.  I plan another 2 this year.

This maybe a first in Bulgaria.  Certainly most of the Bulgarians that have seen it ask what it is.

I will post a photo or two later today,

Best wishes to all,

Su Hagan

> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 20:15:38 -0700
> From: dealy at deatech.com
> To: su.hagan at hotmail.co.uk
> CC: coblist at deatech.com
> Subject: Re: [Cob] Question about the dimensions of Rocket stoves
>
> On Fri, 27 Mar 2009, Susan Hagan wrote:
>
> > Can someone who has built a stove tell me the following. I am qouting
> > from Ianto's book
> >
> > 1. "D is the distance from the feed tube to the heat riser...optimum
> > proportion is about half the height of the heat riser"
> >
> > Here does "heat riser" mean a,b,c,or d and does "burn tunnel" mean
> > e,f,g,or h?
>
> Hi Sue,
>
> I'm assuming that your picture is the same as mine (it may not be, mine is
> an electronic prepublication copy from a couple of years ago), but the
> heat riser should be "E", the tall vertical tube down the center of
> the large barrel and the burn tunnel is what "D" is measuring the length
> of, the horizontal tunnel below the "D" measurement, running from the feed
> tube to the heat riser.
>
> > 2. How important is the dug out ash pit at the bottom of the feed tube?
>
> Very important. Ash and coals accumulate during each fire in the ash pit
> at the bottom of the feed tube, without it, these will migrate into the
> burn tunnel and obstruct the flow of air and volatile gases from the fire.
> It's preferable if this is several inches deep, to shallow and ash and
> coals will end up in the feed tube on every firing.
>
> > Would an ash pit where the pipe exits from the barrel be sufficient?
>
> No.
>

> Shannon C. Dealy | DeaTech Research Inc.
> dealy at deatech.com | - Custom Software Development -
> Phone: (800) 467-5820 | - Natural Building Instruction -
> or: (541) 929-4089 | www.deatech.com

Beyond Hotmail — see what else you can do with Windows Live.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/134665375/direct/01/