[Cob] cob directly on c-slab

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Tue Apr 7 15:21:04 CDT 2009

Carol,
	I agree with Jill, partially, about stone foundations. They don't
wick water at all, but then again, I have an urbanite foundation
which wicks up about an inch from the ground that touches. Not much
to be worried about, but I have a two foot high foundation with eight
inches of gravel underneath too. Stone is a bit more in-depth than
concrete, but no concerns with the wicking issue plus the finished
product is by far more eye pleasing. If you do stone, dry stack them
and go back afterwards to fill the cracks and holes in with mortar.
You shouldn't rely on the strength of mortar because it's not that
strong, you'll just weaken your wall which isn't a good idea with
that heavy cob sitting on top of it.

Damon in GA