[Cob] FW: OFF LIST response Cobhouse design

Phil Moulton philmoulton at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 00:47:11 CDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Sher Gorton [mailto:sirslilpony at yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 12:16 PM
To: Shody Ryon
Cc: Phil Moulton
Subject: Re: OFF LIST response [Cob] Cobhouse design

Hi, Shody... Phil's wife lilpony responding offlist:

I am not on this list, I think, so missed the previous posts... so if I'm
way off-base on my assumption that I know what you're referring to, please
correct me! :)

If it's in regard to the SB-or-cob we are planning, we are still firming up
exactly what foundation, what wall material and structure, etc. but at this
point we are considering the lowest-tech, best-efficiency,
easiest-owner-built strategies, and are currently most leaning toward:

1.  Foundation:  Stemwall, poured concrete with rebar reinforcement.  Phil
used the term "monolithic" in regard to foundation as opposed to mortared
stone-or-brick, stacked stone, slip-form or other space-filling strategies
that create non-unified surfaces that can slide against each other in an
earthquake.  We live in the western United States - and our part of the
world is well overdue for a great quake.  Seems prudent to take it into
consideration, and it is a very large consideration for us.  Yes, we
understand that concrete is a very high-embodied-energy material but after
considering pros-and-cons including using chunks of 'urbanite' as filler we
have decided that we are not willing to compromise on the foundation.  Any
of the other elements of our building might be changed, in fact we are still
talking about SB versus cob for walls, but... the foundation will be as
one-single-piece as we can make it.  In order that, should the earth move,
 we increase the possibility that the foundation will shift as a unit.

Personally I am still leaning toward cob rather than SB because of the
above.  Given we tie-in the cob walls to the foundation properly (re-bar
extending up from the foundation?), the entire home can be made pretty
"monolithic" which will also increase its earthquake-resistance.  (And yeah,
we do understand the compromises involved with the large south-facing
window-thing, and planning for timber/beam reinforcement/framing of the
south wall because of the windows, etc.)

2.  Floors:  Earthen/cob floors over tamped roadbase (i.e., 3/4-minus
rock).  Yes we have been talking about putting piping in the floor for heat
because we have a solar hot-water system the buyer of Phil's house did not
want and we both HATE cool/cold floors.  We have, however, been talking
about using the solar system for household hot water - and the probability
that with the thermal gain in the cob floor, or
cob-with-inlaid-tile-or-brick floor (wow, what a mouthful!) we don't need
in-floor heat anyhow.  Considering pumice in one underlayer of the floor for
insulation.

3.  General heating, solar, and woodstove:  There will be partial walls for
thermal mass storage, and for visual space-division as to task/use.  The
house will be south-facing in a more-or-less earthship-style configuration,
i.e. long wall facing south with large windows for solar gain, planters
underneath, short walls with benches for catching/holding solar heat, etc.
etc. etc.  The woodstove is for backup heat/drying out the air in cool/wet
weather - and also for backup cooking should the need arise.  Besides that
we love the 'glow' of woodstove heat and the coziness of sitting around the
woodstove in the evening.  But it would be the primary space-heat (i.e.,
warming the air) as well - we don't like cold air indoors.

Does that give you a little clearer picture?  ...hope so. :)

Phil's "lilpony"

P.S.  The PNW is actually very cloudy, many more cloudy days than in
Michigan.  Warmer here in winter, of course, but not so much sun at ANY time
of year as Michigan - we get constant clouds off the Pacific Ocean, and it's
very humid air here.  We can't always count on the thermal batteries holding
their charge long enough to rely on thermal-mass-heat alone, and most of the
year indoor air could use some drying out just because of the high ambient
humidity.  Then add in the additional moisture of growing salads indoors,
and.... doesn't a woodstove make a LOT of sense?