[Cob] more cob floor debates

Barbara Roemer roemiller4 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 00:34:22 CDT 2009

Hi Tys,

I think the question to start with is what is your site drainage like?  We
have an earthen floor over a lot of scoria - like 14", with no vapor
barrier.  BUT the site drainage is terrible - we have to correct it with a
curtain drain (we just moved into a renovated garage and then added the
bathroom with an earthen floor).  Even with all that lava rock, we still
have some expansion and contraction, seasonally, because of the amount of
water that runs through the rock.

If I had it to do again, I would definitely isolate the earthen floor from
what lies beneath it.  I wanted an earth-coupled floor for ill-articulated,
sort of amorphous reasons - silly, given the length (or depth) we went to to
assure there was NO earth coupling, and given the absorptive properties of
earth.

Barbara