[Cob] more cob floor debates

Tys Sniffen tys at ideamountain.com
Wed Apr 15 16:14:37 CDT 2009

Or should I call this an update to the update?

We're still working on our subfloor (only 4 half days of working so far) and
we're doing well with 3 inches of road-base and clay mix with 1 inch rigid
foam only around the perimeter/outside walls, about 4 inches up and 16
horizontal.  Things are hardening up, we can walk on it already. (no walls
helps the drying process, even on foggy days!)

As we're thinking about another room, we realize we have a potential problem
due to earlier mistakes/process:  on one side of the room, we'll probably
only have about 3 inches of gravel for this subfloor to go over, and we're
worried about whether or not to put some sort of vapor barrier down to
prevent moisture from coming up from the subsoil.   Our tests on this have
been inconclusive, so there's a lot of guessing going on.

Questions: Anyone out there with cob floors ever have any trouble with
moisture coming up?  If so, how much gravel is underneath? Anyone put a
vapor barrier under their floor? If so, have you had any trouble with it?

Tys

Choose your own provider with no waiting periods with Spirit Dental and
Vision Insurance at

www.spiritdental.com