[Cob] cob/insulation

Robert Alcock ralcock at euskalnet.net
Mon Apr 20 18:06:14 CDT 2009

Hi Bob,

In a climate as cold as Wisconsin, it sounds like you would want more
insulation than could be provided by a wall consisting of woodchip in
clay or lime matrix. Though I don't have specific figures, my feeling is
that the matrix will provide plenty of continuous thermal bridging.
Loose woodchip in a cavity wall sounds like a better option. Or since it
sounds as if you've got a plentiful supply of other types of wood, you
could go for cobwood (using woodchip as cavity insulation in between the
inner and outer layers of cob).

If you did cobwood or else a strawbale structure plastered thickly with
cob (like we are doing, in a far milder climate!), you could throw out
the timber frame and avoid building a redundant loadbearing structure.
(Sounds like you've made that decision already, though.)

Robert

www.abrazohouse.org