[Cob] Coblist Cob insulation

Dean Sherwin costman at verizon.net
Tue Apr 21 15:05:05 CDT 2009

Unfortunately cob is not a good insulator.  They've run up against
this problem in UK even with a "whole house" approach and where
temperatures are not extreme.  With the coming energy crisis I think
it would not be responsible to build an uninsulated wall.  R30 I
should say in Wisconsin.  I have R25 in my new house in SE PA and I
wish I had more.   Windows should be as good as you can afford.  And
as little glass as possible except south facing.  Even there dont
overdo it as windows lose more heat than they gain.  Unless maybe
triple glazed.   That's for a cold climate.