[Cob] Coblist Cob insulation

Christopher Reinhart sandymud at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 11:29:58 CDT 2009

Hi Janet,

Regarding your question:

Do you have any specific test results regarding the loadbearing capacity of
> cob? I'm in the process of obtaining my permit. The plans have been turned
> in.

I've wondered this myself - I'm sure many others have, too.  The only number
I've ever come across I found just the other day, watching a YouTube video
with cob builder Kevin McCabe (from England).  He mentions that the bearing
capacity of cob is about 1 N/mm2.

Here's a link for the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_EaJURtW0k

If that doesn't work, search on YouTube for "Mud Mansions".  Kevin's been
building cob houses for 20+ years, and it's an interesting interview to
watch.

Hope that helps,
-Chris Reinhart