[Cob] My clay $0.02

Emily Facci faccie at hotmail.com
Fri May 8 15:15:33 CDT 2009

Hi there,

Just wanted to chime in that I was once part of a wall-building project in which they were trying to use white potter's clay to amend a sandy soil.  We had a lot of problems with the mix - it just wouldn't get sticky enough to hold together very well.  I would be surprised if any of that wall is still standing.

I later took a pottery class and learned that potter's clay (and the white stuff especially) is purposely selected for its lack of stickiness.  It is supposed to be very much more "tender" than the clay you'd find in your backyard - like pie crust compared to, say, a hearty chewy artisan bread.  So, that explained it!

Emily

HotmailĀ® has a new way to see what's up with your friends.