[Cob] Clay discussion

Tim Nam tkn317071 at yahoo.com
Sat May 9 11:49:32 CDT 2009

thinking in terms of carbon opportunity cost, building with cob would more than offset the carbon cost of say, building with concrete and steel, which as we all know is highly carbon intensive.  Or the more common building with wood even has a significant carbon cost associated with it, what with the logging trucks, milling, etc. (though wood is a natural carbon sink and will hold whatever carbon it contains for 50+ years assuming no rot)

however, I understand the motivation to not use any carbon (emissions) at all, if possible.

Unless you bike to town for supplies, buy only locally produced goods transported by bicycle and otherwise live a zero carbon life, its about minimization, not elimination.  Diverting a dump truck already full of clay and bound for some other dump site to your site might have a miniscule impact on carbon. If that truck is running on biofuel, the carbon impact is negligible.  In any case, one big dump truck load would be better than multiple pick-up loads/trips, probably.  Then again, if you're really concerned about your carbon footprint, perhaps it might be time to move off the moraine closer to town (and clay, not to mention straw).

being on a moraine, i imagine there is plenty of rock.  perhaps investing in some good stone stacking skills would be called for.

just my rambling thoughts.  good luck with your decisions

Tim Kijoo Nam
Corvallis, OR
tkn317071 at yahoo.com
http://timsbloggo.blogspot.com/
"We are discussing no small matter, but how we ought to live." -Socrates