[Cob] Clay discussion

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Fri May 8 20:05:13 CDT 2009

That depends on the quality of the clay. Really pure clay can be
mixed 4 to 1 sand/clay so it does not take as much clay as you would
think. Also, you can build a hybrid of cob and some baled material
like straw or corn husks and cut the cob thickness to 8 inches, but
natural building is about using what you have available. If you have
wood use it, if you have stone  use it. I would love to see someone
try two layers of wattle and daub filled with straw, grass, cat tales
or any other trash insulation. That would cut the clay layers to two
inches.
Ed