[Cob] Curious about the clay

Marlin Nissen marlin_nissen at yahoo.com
Mon May 11 08:59:49 CDT 2009

my 2 cents,,,,, had best luck with the clay that I got from a road construction crew (don't know if you have clay in your area) where they called it "road cut" and was ONLY subsoil clay with huge hard clods in it that were virtually plastic when cut into. The test bricks with that and 4 X the sand (sharp sand from a quarry, not beach sand) was incredibly good Cob. You have to test the amounts of each but if it's PURE clay it won't take nearly as much (takes more when you're dealing with silt/organics in the soil) and will be much stronger. Also the sand quality (sharp, larger granules) makes better Cob in my experience. Beach sand crumbles..

I jumped up into the back of the 'clay' truck to make sure it was cloddy and it was grey in color (could be orange too) before they dumped it.....like I said the clay went so far that we ended up with a huge excess pile of it....the sand went quicker but it was easier to find when we needed more. I also used the grey/smeary clay to waterproof the block foundation for the greenhouse as this stuff was gummy and water resistant.

The caveat is that clay like that, while amazingly sticky, takes awhile to breakdown enuff to work with..........soaked a bunch of it, pulverized others with a tiller and a pit and "screeded" clods on a framed wire rack into a wheelbarrow to get fine clay dust for plaster.

I don't know (actually doubt) that pottery clay is your best way to go but I'd be interested to know if someone has worked with it,,,,,,

Best,

Marlin (Upper Midwest soils ARE clay mostly)

p.s. oh yeah and covering the piles while dry is a really good idea!