[Cob] CLAY AND COB TESTING- METHODS

Charmaine Taylor dirtcheapbuilderbooks at gmail.com
Mon May 11 15:18:35 CDT 2009

HELLO to all-

 not to toot my own horn, but  if you wish to  get books from Ianto
Evans- Hand SCULPTED HOUSE- Rocket stove, etc.  and Kiko, Earth Oven,
Dig in Dirt --but dont want to do checks or cash I DO carry their
building books, and you can use credit card.

In addition there are several Resource Guide CDs I offer with
intensive clay and lime, adobe, soil testing, etc  info on them. like
a library of focused information. www.dirtcheapbuilder.com

 some clay- articles>>>>   http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com/frestufwitor.html

When I started to study clay, and the  platlet stages, and how they
slide over eachother with water molecules it was facinating.  knowing
that adding just 2% of hydrated  lime to soil can keep it from getting
mucky in the rain, and breaks the tiny bonds that hold the clay
together.  Having compacted  clay as paths and   dry areas aroounf the
home is valuable in all weather.  I once tilled in some lime at the
front of my rental house, the mailman complained of having to step in
or over a big mud pile all winter,   by the ation of the lime, and
tamping it down, the water ran off and solved the problem.

There is a thing called an 'Alcock box', this is a rectangle, you fill
with your clay mix, let dry and see how muh shrinkage you have, it
helps to determine sand and fiber amount needed.

I Have a 2 page  PDF that I can EMAIL to any who ask for it-- called"
Lime Dries Mud"- excellent to have for the basis.

--
Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
707-441-1632