[Cob] have a seminar?

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Sun May 31 00:58:03 CDT 2009

On Sat, 30 May 2009, Tys Sniffen wrote:

> So,
>
> How do people feel about having a building seminar on their project, to help
> get a bunch of people to help put some volume on the walls?  I was getting
> ready to have one up here, but then the logistics started to feel like just
> as much work as slinging mud myself.
[snip]

A lot will depend on the experience, the size and physical conditioning
of the people who come to help, how many days they come to help and how
fast you are when working alone.

To give a couple examples:

Some friends wanted to come out and help me with a building I was working
on so they could learn a bit about cob.  This resulted in seven people of
all ages coming out for one day to work on my building.  Of course I had
to teach them some basics and keep an eye on what they were doing, so at
the end of the day, me with seven people helping completed slightly less
than I would have done working alone.  Of course it was more fun than
working alone and I don't regret doing it, but for one day of "help" it
didn't do anything for me.  Had they come back a second day, there would
have been less need of supervision, no initial training, and probably
would have more than made up for the first day, though not massively so.

I teach cob workshops and generally figure that on the first day, for up
to ten students, they will produce at most about what I could working
alone (note in the previous example I was working with them, when I teach
workshops I do less actual building work).  By the fourth day of class I
figure about three to four students to match my output, and by the end of
the week two to three students.

This is what I typically see, however, I am much faster than most at cob
building and this just gives the typical case.  I had one workshop with
three brothers, one 13 years old and two in their mid-20's.  The older
brothers were both something like 6'4" to 6'6" tall (two meters to those
of you who think metric) and in extremely good physical condition, the
younger one was almost my size.  Needless to say, they completely blew my
general rules for how much output.  While the older brothers individually
weren't as fast as I was, by the end of the workshop they were getting
close, and together, they were definitely faster.

FWIW.

Phone: (800) 467-5820 |          - Natural Building Instruction -