[Cob] Does anyone have a good link for Usonian House footings?

Rob Hayes editable7 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 28 20:07:54 CDT 2009

Years ago Frank Lloyd Wright had an episode of designing and actually producing some
craftsman style homes which were inexpensive.  In the 1930's I believe.  Trendy at the
time and nice to consider for us.
Usonian footings weren't concrete down to below the frostline.  I think he used
rubble or stone ( site materials mean less transportation expense - also good design )
in a trench.
Does anyone remember where some good images of this can be found?

Weren't the walls less massive than stone?  Like some CMU concrete castings designed with
a gap space for insulation.  There's certainly a lot of free waste styrofoam available now to replace
the corncobs Wright may have used.  It kind of reminds me of the gap mentioned last week in the
scrap 2x4's cob walls comments here.
Wright built his stemwalls on some fairly shallow crushed stone footings.  I wonder how they've survived?
I think that this was as close to having us all as his client as he got - and a sort of open source public
domain design, especially since the patents have expired.