[Cob] Borax as a wood treatment

Dulane silkworm at spiderhollow.com
Thu Jul 2 15:35:56 CDT 2009

I didn't use it for a wood preservative. My experience was that I sprayed it
on burlap bags to help keep moths out of the burlap and wool (inside the
bags.) After about 3/4 of a pound, the sprayer wouldn't spray any more, as
the salt clogged up the tip. My burlap bags dried shiny with salt crystals.

There is a further belief that says when you mix it too strong, the salt
will no long dissolve in the water, and that is time to quit.

There is also a belief that it doesn't work as well on logs as it does on
milled wood, because the solution soaks better into the milled edges than it
does into a perfectly rounded log. So, soaking a log is better than painting
it.

I've also heard that borax solutions shouldn't be trusted if the wood has
any contact with water...as it will lose it effectiveness if it gets wet or
washed off.

This link probably won't work because of its length, but try copying and
pasting into your browser, there is a recipe there.
http://www.bearfortlodge.com/bearfort_lodge/2006/12/log-home-repair-restorat
ion-replacing-chinking-and-fixing-logs-part-vi-home-brew-wood-and-log-preser
vative/

Here's another for a milk paint/borax preservative.
http://toolmakingart.com/2008/06/16/two-layer-milk-paint/

Here's another link with 2 recipes:
http://www.boatdesign.net/boat-design-wiki/index.php?title=MaterialsForBoatb
uilding&oldid=1707

Here'a one of the recipes from the above site:
Home-Brew Water Solution of Borates:
All percentages for this recipe and the others here are percentages by
weight. Based on U.S. Navy spec. of 60% borax-40% boric acid (this ratio
gives the maximum solubility of borates in water); 65% water, 20 %borax, 15%
boric acid; 15.8% borates; borax costs 54 cents/lb. (supermarket), boric
acid costs about $4/lb. in drug stores (sometimes boric acid roach poison,
99% boric acid, is cheaper in discount stores); equiv. to Tim-Bor® or
Ship-Bor® at 30 cents/lb.
To make this solution mix the required quantities and heat until dissolved.
The boric acid, in particular, dissolves slowly. This solution is stable
(nocrystals)  overnight in a refrigerator (40°F.), so can be used at
temperatures at least as low as 40°F.