[Cob] borax wood treatment

Tys Sniffen tys at ideamountain.com
Fri Jul 3 11:52:25 CDT 2009

Su,

We treated our timber frame structure (that holds up the roof, while we
build the cob walls up to it), which was made of redwood rounds that I cut
from our property with a borax-based solution.  I'd call it an insecticide
more than a wood preserver, but I suppose, if the bugs stay out, it
preserves the wood, so that's an apt name.

We got our supply (I think we ordered a 5 gal bucket of the powder) from
doityourselfpestcontrol.com , which certainly has an appropriate name. We
simply followed the instructions for the mix, which was probably something
like 1 to 20 water.

Tys

Is there anyone out there who has used Borax as a wood preservative and if
so coul dyou tell me what proportions you used or head me towards a
reputable and informative site.

Thanks,

Su,

Choose your own provider with no waiting periods with Spirit Dental and
Vision Insurance at

www.spiritdental.com