[Cob] Borax toxicity

Monica Proulx mon.pro at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 15:30:14 CDT 2009

I want to put this URL out there for information on toxicity of Borax, it is
very readable and looks accurate at first glance.

http://www.greenfootsteps.com/borax-information.html

There are many sites with info on Borax/boric acid and most mention that
they can be toxic at certain levels - to children & pets, and to humans from
long-term exposure. The above site says one tsp. of Borax could prove fatal
for a small child.

These chemicals are great at killing things (bugs, fungi) and that should
give us pause when using.  They are used in many products, if I'm not
mistaken boric acid is in shredded cellulose attic/wall insulation (shredded
newspaper that is blown into attics) as a fire retardant and insecticide.
And even though the element boron (parent element in Borax, boric acid,
etc.) is found in plants and thus foods, at trace levels (as a
micronutrient) you would never want to ingest it intentionally as boric
acid, Borax or in any form, other than a vitamin pill or as found naturally
in vegetable/fruits!  Nature knows best!

We should be vigilant in their use, and store them away from pets and small
children. A little caution with any chemical, whether "green" or not, can
save heartache later on.  One has to respect chemistry.  "Natural" doesn't
always mean safe.