[Cob] cob walls for stables

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 5 10:42:15 CDT 2009

Cat here...

The stables in Europe were of cob and survived well.

 I have worked in a few stables including my own and found that the damage from kicking, rubbing and leaning can be eliminated by stabling only for short periods of time.  When horses become bored they become agitated ...they produce testosterone...I don't know which comes first the hormone or the agitation but the result is the same...kicking, rubbing, and often aggressive behaviors towards other horses and handlers.  The key of course is that the horse, a constantly grazing moving animal, is better cared for when they are stalled only when weather conditions or their health and safety issues are present.

When looking at old farms in France I found a good many had large open shelters where all the animals were kept.  No stalls.  Horses pigs cows chickens, geese wandered in and out at their pleasure.  The stress of being confined was eliminated.

The size of the stall is paramount.  Small stalls become foul fast.  Horses have a better chance of being cast in them.

The use of a band of used tire tread may make a bumper that would keep a horse from rubbing against the walls...however I have yet to see any horse I have ever cared for rub against a block building, rock or such...they like to roll in sandy or muddy soil depending on what they need.  Seen them rub against trees and wood and definitely rub into a good brushing.  My thought would be that the rubbing and leaning at the frame are going to be your biggest challenge since the wight of your animals will eventually break the timber from the cob.  This also seems logical with the barrel in the cob.

With horses less is best.  the least equipment you have the safer and easier it is to care for them...hay on the ground with a washable pan for grain/mash that can be removed and cleaned seems more prudent.  Water buckets would seem to be the challenge.  How to hand them if you were going to make the interior walls of cob and how to keep the drool from eroding the wall.

Lots to think about...maybe get on line and look at some vintage farms for sale in France Ireland England you may not have to reinvent the wheel.

I will be interested since I am considering putting my horses under me in a two story cob...Jeffersonian!

No leaders, No followers!  CAT